2013/05/24

CCXIX: "Sgt. Frog"

Sgt. Frog... where do I begin with this? Ever deal with anime that deals with a strange being that plots to take over your world, only to live there and do anything but that? On record, there are two titles like this I have seen, one of which I'm still viewing, so I might as well cover this one since I'm done with it.

Sgt. Frog (Sergeant, in case you're not familiar with the abbreviation), also titled Keroro Gunso, is an anime involving an alien race of frog-like beings, who attempt to conquer Earth, only to mess up in comedic outcomes. The leader of this platoon is the point character Keroro, the platoon's Sergeant. While initially successful in missions prior to this, his arrival to Earth more or less changed him. Long story short, he shifted more towards otaku interest as opposed to his original task. Moreover, he ends up residing in the Hinata residence, whose members include the nerd Fuyuki, the brash Natsumi, and the house head Aki. And even with his squad there, something tells me it'll be a while before he completes his goal...

Sgt. Frog is a title that has an absurdly large episode count and a batch of films under its belt. I can't recall how many of them were dubbed, but it has in this phase 358 episodes that began in April of 2004, with talk of its return. The film count is Super Movie Keroro Gunso 5, which is the latest entry that dates back to 2010, and neither of the films are dubbed. In terms of studios, Sunrise was more or less all over this. The episodes that DID come stateside were licensed under Funimation, something I felt would happen. But as I stated, there is talk of its return, and what hardens this statement a bit is that the manga for it is still ongoing.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to make of it, and in some ways, I still don't. Even when entertained with pop culture references (especially that of different anime titles), and the occasional 4th wall humor, I still couldn't bring myself to thoroughly enjoy it yet. It is a sci-fi- comedy with action involved, but a tad too long for my tastes, which is funny considering I still keep tabs on Detective Conan.

Well, I'll update this when I decide to come back to it, but for now, I'll call it a 6 of 10. It doesn't necessarily suck, but it wasn't all that interesting to me either...

No comments:

Post a Comment